Excessive underarm sweating can be uncomfortable, but it doesn’t have to be an inevitability. There are many methods to reduce sweating that you can try right at Stamford Skin Centre.
- Use topical antiperspirants
Antiperspirants both kill odor-causing bacteria and actively block your sweat glands from producing underarm sweat.
It’s also important to make sure you’re applying your antiperspirant correctly so that it can do its job as intended. This means you should:
- Only apply antiperspirant to dry, clean skin (don’t apply it to already-sweaty armpits or armpits that are still damp from showering).
- Use your antiperspirant at night, after you bathe.
- Shave under your arms, as hair can block antiperspirant from doing its job. (However, be sure not to shave immediately before applying it, as antiperspirant can irritate your freshly shaved skin.)
- Laser hair removal
Hair holds moisture, and underarm hair is no exception. If you’re already experiencing heavy sweating under your arms, laser hair removal is essential. And if you’re constantly fighting body odor alongside the sweat, laser hair removal could also help reduce or eliminate it.
- Botulinum toxin injection
Another treatment option for heavy sweating is injections of botulinum toxin A (Botox), the same medicine used for wrinkles. Botox is FDA-approved for treating excessive sweating of the underarms, but some doctors may also use it on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet.
Botox works by preventing the release of a chemical that signals the sweat glands to activate. You may need to have several Botox injections, but the results can last for almost a year.
Some Steps You Can Take at Home to Control Heavy Sweating
- Avoid some sweating-induced foods like spicy food, garlic and onions, foods that have a high fat content, high-sodium diet, alcohol, hot drinks, etc…
- Don’t wear tight clothes
- Stay hydrated
- Skip the caffeine. Caffeine stimulates the nervous system and increases sweating. It also causes your blood pressure to rise, raises your heart rate, and kicks your sweat glands into high gear.
- Stop smoking
For more information about products and services at Stamford Skin Center, please contact (028) 3925 1990 – 0919 453 338.